What is the law of attraction?
The definition of the law of attraction is positive thoughts will attract positive outcomes, while negative thoughts produce negative results. In other words, the story you repeat to yourself over and over is what you will attract into your life. The law of attraction is based on the belief that thoughts can become things, and what you practice in your thoughts will expand and become real things in reality.
How to use the law of attraction
So how did I apply the law of attraction in my life? After some time had passed since my wife passed away, there was a certain moment when I realized I had to continue living. Choosing to live life after a tragedy isn’t simple. Because it required me to understand my reason to live, the reason to keep helping myself. If my wife saw me, would she want me to drown myself in sorrow? Would she want me to cry for her loss? Would our loved ones who are gone want us to stop our lives forever? After realizing that I could not do anything to get my wife back, and I must make a brave choice in life, I decided to try dating. It was so hard for me… So hard… So many questions arose: How can I start dating after all I’ve been through? How do I present myself and my story on a first date? Should I do it on the first date or maybe after some time? Who am I after so many years of being in one relationship?
At that time I came across Earl Nightingale’s radio play via a YouTube video. Earl Nightingale (1921-1989) was an American radio speaker and author, who dealt mostly with the topics of human development, motivation, and meaningful existence (source). In his famous radio play, he talked about the law of attraction in a very special way that fascinated me so deeply. The Strangest Secret was a 1956 spoken word record by Earl Nightingale which sold over 1M copies and received the first Gold Record for the spoken word, which helped launch the field of personal growth. (source).
The secret law of attraction
I highly recommend listening to the full radio play. But the bottom line boils down to very clear action items. Earl Nightingale actually recommended taking a little note and writing on it what your goals in life are. 5-10 goals, that’s it. The idea is that you’ll have a little note where you write what you want to summon up to your life. Earl Nightingale’s argument was that it’s impossible that people will keep on spinning on a wheel, like laboratory rats: without any direction, without any conscious choice of what they want this world to bring into their lives. This can be likened to a person starting a business, but he has no clue what the name of his business is, what the business sells, how much money he would like to make, and what kind of customers he would like the store to target. A business with no definition and no goals.
The purpose of the little note that Earl Nightingale talks about in his lecture is to help us write a sheet with inner-mantras from which we could read over and over and actually practice the goals and aspirations we want to bring to our lives. With that said, the law of attraction is based on the assumption that what you focus on expands, and in order to produce focus we must practice the same thought over and over again. Because when we practice the same thought over and over again, the filtering mechanism in our brain known as the Reticular Activating System, begins to look in our reality for only those things that we focus on.
Just for the sake of demonstrating this concept right now, I would ask you to find in this room only blue items. Can you find them? This is the exciting part – the blue items were always there before, like any other thing in the room, just the RAS causes the things we are looking for to become more apparent, and in this case, it is the color blue. What you focus on expands.
Is “the law of attraction” real?
For me, the law of attraction was real more than you can even imagine. I decided to take Earl Nightingale’s offer one step further and wrote on a little note on one side 5 goals for the short term, I crossed the note in half with a line, and on the other half of the same side, I wrote 5 goals for the long term. I turned the note over and there I wrote 10 traits I was looking for in a woman for a serious relationship. As Earl Nightingale recommended, every so often I read the note. For example, if I were going up in an elevator and had a few free seconds, I would then read the note and actually remind myself what my goals were.
Slowly I noticed that my whole day was starting to get organized around the same goals I had set for myself. Months go by and slowly I noticed that I was starting to mark V on the goals I have set for myself for the short term. For example, one of the goals I had was to finish writing my lecture, and indeed within 10 months the lecture was complete. And that’s no miracle, it was due to the fact that I spent 1 hour a day researching, writing, proofreading until i finally managed to wrap it up.
At that time when I was slowly and carefully entering the world of dating, I would go out on a date every now and then. During the date itself, it was very clear to me what I was looking for. This was reflected in the level of the initial introductory conversation: what questions I asked during the date; When the conversation was rolling, it was clear to me what things were important to me that the girl’s character would reflect; Which character traits are more important to me than others.
The goals in the little note focused my attention only on the things that really mattered to me. I think that’s also what reduced immensely the number of date I went out to. In this world of dating one can easily get lost. Believe me, I saw my closest friends dating 4-8 times a months. That’s crazy. In the dating world, one can get stuck in a loop that is hard to get out of. Another girl, another date, another acquaintance, another disappointment. The little note I had in my pocket kept me focused. For me, the law of attraction was real, damn real.
The manifestation of the law of attraction
The manifestation of the law of attraction was not long in coming. There is a certain moment, sometimes it’s the first date, sometimes it’s the third date, maybe the fifth, when you can hear the sound of a marker marking a V next to the characteristics you were looking for. In fact, when you remember by heart the list of characteristics you’re looking for in a partner, then it’s very easy for these things to come up within the conversation. When you know where you’re heading to, you can see your path more clearly.
Many times this question arise: How do you know that a certain relationship is right for you? The answer is pretty simple – when you know what you’re looking for, you know how to identify when you find it. The date itself is not a mathematical formula, because sometimes the things you’re looking for in the partner you are dating don’t immediately manifest on the first date. Yes, it can certainly take several dates, but not too many. On the fifth date, give or take, you start getting answers to most of the questions you ask. There is never anything perfect, and things can always change, but already on a fifth date, you can identify the essential principles in a potential partner.
I knew my fiancée during the COVID-19 era. Our first date was “a lockdown-date”. After a few dates, when we got to know each other a little better, I realized that the same qualities I was looking for in a woman – and were listed on the same note I read over and over again – are manifested in the special woman I was dating. The manifestation of the law of attraction was more vivid than ever. The theory of the law I was familiar with only a few months back, changed my life. I simply figured out that the law of attraction is real.
The law of attraction meditation
I want to introduce you to a really effective meditation that will help you summon up the law of attraction into your life. A practical way to practice this law on a daily basis. This meditation combines both mindful-sitting as well as guided meditation and repetition of mantras. The law of attraction meditation has some very simple steps to:
- Step One – Close your eyes. Sit comfortably with your back straight. Practice 3 deep breaths when inhaling the air from the nose, and exhaling the air from the mouth. Slowly imagine that you are inhaling positive and good energy into your body, and expelling negative energy. Energy can be imagined in the form of colors that you perceive as positive and negative ones. I, for example, like to imagine yellow as positive, and red as negative. But it’s a matter of personal preference the cultural cultivation each of us has grown into. Really see the energy waves in the colors you’ve chosen, entering and exiting your body.
- In the second step, be aware of your surroundings. Feel the armchair you are sitting on, or feel the touch of the rug on which you’re lying; Be connected to the sounds around you; Dedicate these moments to feeling the air caressing your skin; Smell the scents and aromas that surround you; Try to notice the gentle taste in your mouth.
- In the third step, perform a body scan. Start with the Vertex, and imagine that you are scanning all your body-parts and allow each to completely relax: Vertex, forehead, eyes, cheeks, chin, neck, shoulders, arms, elbows, palms, chest, abdomen, back, pelvis, legs, calves, knees, feet. At this point, it’s important not to be judgmental. If at any stage you feel any muscle tension or tingling, just repeat in your head the word “relaxation”. If the body manages to let go, it’s okay, and even if not – it’s okay too. Continue the process until you reach the fingertips.
- In the fourth step, we actually practice the law of attraction in its most pure essence. Repeat your goals or the same qualities you are looking for in your potential partner. It doesn’t have to be in a certain order, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Just repeat again and again as follows:
- In half a year I will finish the lecture I started working on
- Within a year I want to start earning money from my new business
- I feel happier, and I would like to learn to know more and more the inner aspects of happiness within me
- I want to lose weight and persevere in maintaining a healthy weight
- It’s easy for me to workout everyday, and I will devote at least half an hour to my daily workout
- I will soon find the love of my life
- It’s important to me to help others and to devote two hours a week to volunteer activities
- Every day I will dedicate half an hour to meditation and being thankful for the things I have
- I’m grateful for the experiences I have had in my life, they have made me a better person
- I love myself, I love myself, I love myself
There really is no perfect list. Everyone can put together the list that suits them best, with the things they would like to summon for themselves. I’ve mentioned here some examples to help you practice and manifest the law of attraction in your daily routine. Here are some important principles to keep in mind when drafting a list:
- Always put it in a positive way – instead of “I don’t want to be afraid anymore”, put it this way: “I feel the fear is fading out of my life” or “I feel calm and invite the good into my life”
- Use the present tense – Using the present tense signal to our mind that change is already happening in these very moments. Not in the future, but already taking place right now, in the present.
- Use a gradual phrase – “day by day I feel happier and happier”. The gradual formulation allows us, like everything in life, to see a change in the journey, as a scenario of gradual paving of change.
- Use realistic times of application – “in half a year”, “in the coming year”, “soon”, …
- Be specific – repeat sentences that have a clear purpose and achievable vision: “finish a lecture”, “lose weight”, “find love”.
5. Step Five – After you’ve finished practicing the main and most important part of this meditation, take 3-5 deep breaths. These numbers are not binding numbers, be attentive to the feelings that arise in you. Now, as part of the final relaxation phase, bring back the sensation to your body by lightly shaking your fingertips, a soft and pleasant rotation of your shoulders and head, a slight movement in your wrists. Now open your eyes.
In this article, I presented the interpretation of the law of attraction, demonstrated how it can be manifested in daily life in a concrete way according to Earl Nightingale’s method, showed how it took place in my life experience, and detailed the steps for practicing the law of attraction meditation. I hope this article has inspired you and will help you find the good within you.
I love you and thank you for taking the time to read this article.